Friday, December 19, 2008

"Being an adult" : Personal


There comes a time in everyone's life where you have to become an... **gulp**… "Adult." For some it's frightening but others rejoice in its coming. I on the other hand am currently longing for my youth back! I'm sure everyone knows what I'm taking about! The day I turned 16 I went out and got my license and two jobs! My parents warned me I would regret it but did I listen no?

Now when you have to be an adult and be responsible is when it's the hardest to be one. Bills are coming in, rent it due and the economy can look daunting at times. But, I was reading in Philippians this afternoon and came across a scripture that just fit. Philippians 3:10-14 (in the message). When the going gets tough you just have to keep your head up and keep moving forward, keep going. It took a while for me to realize what a good position I really was in… I am not the young pup I once was but I am farther along and closer to the goal! Remembrance of my youth and the prize of the future is what keeps me motivated… I’m not perfect by any means but it’s like Paul said we’re all in a race but I’m not going to finish last! “I’m off and running and I’m not turning back!”

Sure there are benefits for being young but the glory that lies with being an adult is sometimes not even recognized! Think about, we hold such a key role to this generation we can’t afford to stay in the past! With all the new technology out there and media influences the world needs strong “adults” to help teach our youth the right paths to take! One thing for sure we’ve learned from our mistakes in the past and we’re better people for it.

With each passing year we’re blessed with a new beginning in the year ahead, a fresh start. Today I felt more like an adult than I ever have, filling out my Christmas cards and praying over each one… I thank God I am not the silly 16 year old I once was and I feel lucky to be where I am today. Perhaps my yearning to be youthful again came at the perfect time, because with that I realize what a privileged it is to be grown up. Sure it’s hard sometimes but God is always there with me and that is something that has taken me years of growing up to find out! So let us join together this Christmas season and remember the blessings God’s given us and what it truly means to be an adult as we look toward the New Year with anticipation, expectancy and a fresh start!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are a very thought provoking woman of God and I love you very much, Mom